The Kiss of Deception (Hardcover)
Chris's July 2014 Staff Pick: When Lia decides to run away on her wedding day from a man that she had never met, her friend Pauline comes along. But not only did she run from her family, she ran from her duties as a first Daughter to the king.
Now she and Pauline must out smart an assassin and an unknown man sent to hunt them down. How far will they have to go to hide from their pasts.— From Chris's Picks
In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia's life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight--but she doesn't--and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom--to a prince she has never met.
On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive--and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets--even as she finds herself falling in love.
The Kiss of Deception is the first book in Mary E. Pearson's Remnant Chronicles.
About the Author
Mary E. Pearson is the author of seven novels for teens, including the popular Jenna Fox trilogy. She writes full-time from her home in Carlsbad, California, where she lives with her husband and two dogs.
Praise for The Adoration of Jenna Fox:
* “Raises the ante in unexpected ways until the very last page.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review
* “This is a beautiful blend of science fiction . . . and teen-relationship novel that melds into a seamless whole.” —School Library Journal, starred review
“This is an amazingly powerful, thought-provoking, just brilliant novel.” —Teen Book Review
* “[An] outstanding examination of identity, science and ethics.” —Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* “This novel is truly unlike any other I have ever read and is a breath of fresh air.” —ELLEgirl
Praise for The Fox Inheritance:
“Riveting, thought-provoking.” —Suzanne Collins, author of The Hunger Games
* “A dazzling blend of science fiction, mystery, and teen friendship drama.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review
“Gripping, urgent, and highly appealing.” —School Library Journal