Kobo eBooks at Off The Beaten Path
Introducing Kobo, Our eReading Partner
Want to read eBooks and still support Off the Beaten Path? Just three easy steps:
1. Buy a Kobo eReader from Off the Beaten Path or install the free Kobo Reader App on your Apple, Android or Windows smartphone, tablet or computer.
2. Create a Kobo account by clicking on this link.
3. Sign into the eReader or Kobo App using your Kobo account and you are off and reading!
You can shop for eBooks right in the eReader, in the Kobo App, or here on steamboatbooks.com. And each eBook you buy supports Off The Beaten Path!
Kobo Free eReading Apps
Kobo is all about being open so you can read however you want. Once you download their free app to your smartphone, desktop, or tablet, your eBooks, PDFs, ePubs, and even your bookmarks are in sync – start on one device and pick up on another and never lose your place. Set up your Kobo account through our link so that when you purchase eBooks you are supporting this store.
How Do I Get Started Buying eBooks?
1. Set up your Kobo account at Kobo.com via your Kobo Mini or Glo eReader,
or through a link on our website.
2. Login to SteamboatBooks.com or kobo.com with your new account
to browse, search for, and buy eBooks.
3. Start reading! Download the free Kobo reading app at www.kobobooks.com/apps
to read on your smartphone, computer, or tablet. You can also purchase eBooks
through the app. Sign into the app with your new Kobo account and continue to support this store!
Q: How many eBooks are in the Kobo database? And how many titles are available for purchase in the US?
A: Kobo’s entire library is available to all customers. They currently have over 3 million eBooks and are constantly updating their library and adding new releases. Newspapers and magazines are also available for purchase in the Kobo Store.
Q: Are foreign languages like German and Russian supported on the devices?
A: Foreign languages are supported on the Kobo Glo. As of October 2012, the interface can be set to English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazilian and Portugal) and Italian.
Q: What if I already own an earlier generation Kobo eReader? Can I shop for eBooks through your store?
A: Yes. You will need to establish a new Kobo account by following the link to Kobo on our website. Then, when you next use your device, sign out of the old account and sign in using the new account name. You can then search and buy eBooks either through the device or through the web, and continue your much-appreciated support of this store.
Q: What about the Google eBooks already in my library on my device?
A: You will continue to be able to access them via your Google account. However, the IndieBound Reader app was designed specifically to interface with Google eBooks and will no longer be supported after January 2013. If desired, you can load your Google eBooks to a new Kobo device using Adobe Digital Editions. Please see the video at the following address, produced by Google, for a step-by-step guide to transferring your Google eBooks to your new Kobo eReader.
Q: Does Kobo allow sharing of books between Kobo devices, like Kindle and Nook do?
A: At this time it is not possible for a Kobo customer to lend or share eBooks from their library with
another person. The eBooks in your Kobo library are tied directly to your account and password.
Q: Once purchased, if a book is DRM protected, is there a limit to the number of downloads?
A: If a file is DRM protected it may be downloaded 6 times in total. This restriction is set forth by the publisher and is the same for all DRM files.
Q: How do I read Kobo books on my iPad or iPhone?
A: Here's a quick 3 step process to reading Kobo eBooks on your iOS device (iPad or iPhone):
Step 1: Create your Kobo Account.
- Open Safari, or another web browser, on your iPad.
- Go to www.steamboatbooks.com
- Click on the “Create Your Kobo Account” button.
- This will take you to Kobo/Off the Beaten Path website.
- Click on “Register” in the upper right corner of the page.
- Follow the directions to create your Kobo account.
- Step 2: Download the Kobo eReader App on your iPad
- On your iPad, open the AppStore
- In the upper right corner “Search Store” box, type Kobo and hit search.
- The Kobo Books App will be retrieved. It is FREE.
- Click on the “Free” button and follow the directions to install the App.
- When the App is installed, open it, and follow the directions to enter the Kobo account you created above.
Step 3: Buy your eBooks!
- Go back to Safari, or any other web browser, and return to www.steamboatbooks.com
- Two ways to find an eBook:
- Search for any book.
- Select the eBook edition. Click on Buy this eBook now.
- Follow the directions to complete your purchase.
- Click on the Search button top right corner of the page
- Click on the eBooks tab.
- Search for the eBook.
- Click on Buy this eBook now.
- Follow the directions to complete your purchase.
- In either case you will have to enter your credit card information once.
- Go back to the Kobo App and touch the center of the page, and on the Home button top left of the page. Your new book will download automatically.
Q: How do I read Kobo books on my Nook?
A: You can read your Kobo eBooks on your Nook using Adobe Digital Editions software.
- Set up a Kobo account via this link.
- Set up Adobe® Digital Editions. Download Adobe® Digital Editions.
- Install the application and set up an Adobe® ID.
- Download your book from Kobo. Visit the Kobo Store and Sign in to your account.
- Click My Library (near the top of the page).
- In your list of Kobo books, find the book you want to download.
- Click Download, ADOBE DRM EPUB, or ADOBE DRM PDF depending on what’s available.
- Find the file you downloaded (an EPUB, PDF, or ACSM file) and right-click it.
- Locate the file (called urllink.acsm) on your computer and double-click the file to open it into Adobe Digital Editions. You can also open the file by launching the Adobe Digital Editions program and selecting File > Import Files from the menu.
- ADE will start, download your book, and add it to the ADE library.
- Use Adobe® Digital Editions to transfer your book. Connect your Nook to your computer. If necessary, follow the prompts to authorize your computer using your Adobe® ID. Your Nook will appear on the left side of the ADE window.
- Drag the book from your ADE library to the eReader icon.
Q:How do i read my Kobo books on my Android?