Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1 The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1) (Paperback)
- Rick Riordan is a #1 New York Times best-selling author many times over
- Rick has been intrigued by Norse mythology since childhood
- Ties in to Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
- The diverse cast includes a hearing-impaired elf, a Muslim Valkyrie, and a Black dwarf
- Includes a teaser for Book 2
- Ideal entertainment for middle schoolers but can be enjoyed by older readers too
The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants, and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.
When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.
Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .
About the Author
"Riordan offers a terrific cast that is effortlessly diverse--all of the allies stand as independent, well-constructed characters who each bring entirely different skills, histories, interests, and personalities to the group."—Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
"This is a highly entertaining, tongue-in-cheek romp. Magnus is a witty and likable teen who proves himself worthy of redemption. The novel expertly sets up for book two and will be adored by boys and girls alike."—Voice of Youth Advocates
"Norse myths are in right now, and Riordan has the magic touch."—Booklist
"With an epic plot, engaging (and diverse) characters, and tons of wisecracking humor, Riordan's latest is a page-turner."—School Library Journal
"A whirlwind of myth, action, and wry sarcasm, perfect for readers hungry for a new hit of that Percy Jackson-type magic."—Horn Book